Just a bit of a topical Bible study I hope others will find useful.
For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace… 1 Cor 14:33
Verses for husbands:
Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.
Matthew 19:5a And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife…
Mark 10:7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
Genesis 3:17a And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it…
Genesis 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread…
1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.
Exodus 21:10-11 If he take him another wife; her food, her raiment, and her duty of marriage, shall he not diminish. And if he do not these three unto her, then shall she go out free without money.
Leviticus 18:18 Neither shalt thou take a wife to her sister, to vex her, to uncover her nakedness, beside the other in her life time.
Deuteronomy 24:5 When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: but he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.
Proverbs 5:15-19 Drink waters out of thine own cistern, and running waters out of thine own well. Let thy fountains be dispersed abroad, and rivers of waters in the streets. Let them be only thine own, and not strangers’ with thee. Let thy fountain be blessed: and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.
Ecclesiastes 9:9 – Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that [is] thy portion in [this] life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.
Malachi 2:15-16 And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth. For the LORD, the God of Israel, saith that he hateth putting away: for one covereth violence with his garment, saith the LORD of hosts: therefore take heed to your spirit, that ye deal not treacherously.
Matthew 5:31-32 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.
Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Mark 10:11 And he saith unto them, Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her.
Luke 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.
1 Corinthians 7:11b …and let not the husband put away his wife.
1 Corinthians 11:4,7a,14 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
Colossians 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
Ephesians 5:25-28,31,33a Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself. For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church: For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself…
Verses for wives:
Genesis 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
Genesis 3:16 Unto the woman he said…thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
1 Corinthians 14:34-35 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.
Ephesians 5:22-24,33b Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing. Nevertheless let …the wife see that she reverence her husband.
Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
1 Timothy 2:11-15 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.
Titus 2:4,5 That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.
1 Peter 3:1-6 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price. For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.
Numbers 30:8,12-13 But if her husband disallowed her on the day that he heard it ; then he shall make her vow which she vowed, and that which she uttered with her lips, wherewith she bound her soul, of none effect: and the Lord shall forgive her… But if her husband hath utterly made them void on the day he heard them; then whatsoever proceeded out of her lips concerning her vows, or concerning the bond of her soul, shall not stand: her husband hath made them void; and the Lord shall forgive her. Every vow, and every binding oath to afflict the soul, her husband may establish it, or her husband may make it void.
Proverbs 19:13b …the contentions of a wife are a continual dropping.
Proverbs 21:9,19 It is better to dwell in a corner of the housetop, than with a brawling woman in a wide house. It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman.
Proverbs 27:15 A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike.
Proverbs 31:15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
1 Corinthians 7:10-11a And unto the married I command, yet not I, but the Lord, Let not the wife depart from her husband. But and if she depart, let her remain unmarried, or be reconciled to her husband…
1 Corinthians 11:5-10,13,15 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven. For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered. …but the woman is the glory of the man. For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man. Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man. For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels. Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
1 Timothy 5:14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
Verses for both husbands and wives:
Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
Genesis 9:1,7 And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the earth. And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.
Matthew 19:6 So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.
Mark 10:9 What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.
1 Corinthians 7:2-5 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
1 Corinthians 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Summary of verses for husbands:
1. 1 – Don’t listen to wife when she is immoral (Gen 3:17).
2. 1 – Stay with wife first year of marriage and be free to spend time with her (Deut 24:5)
3. 1 – Don’t take wife’s sister as a second wife (Lev 18:18).
4. 1 – Give honor to wife and dwell with her with moral wisdom according to Christian principles (1 Pet 3:7).
5. 1 – Don’t be bitter with your wife (Col 3:19).
6. 1 – Sanctify and cleanse your wife with the Word (Eph 5:26).
7. 2 – Rejoice and live joyfully with your wife (Eccl 9:9), being satisfied with her and be ravished / intoxicated / captivated / infatuated / enraptured with her love (Prov 5:19).
8. 2 – Be the head of your wife (1 Cor 11:3, Eph 5:23) by not abdicating your authority and by respecting her position as useful and necessary (1 Cor 12:17-22) and worthy of honor (1 Cor 12:23-24,26) that there should be no schism or suffering in the body (1 Cor 12:25-26).
9. 3 – Be fruitful and multiply (Gen 1:28, 9:1,7).
10. 3 – Leave parents and cleave to wife (Gen 2:24, Matt 19:5, Mark 10:7).
11. 3 – Work for bread (Gen 3:19), provide for family (1 Tim 5:8). Give all wives basic food/clothing/sexual needs without discrimination (Ex 21:10).
12. 3 – Keep hair short and do not cover head while praying or prophesying (1 Cor 11:4,7a,14).
13. 4 – Give marital rights / duty of marriage (Ex 21:10), due benevolence / conjugal rights / satisfy sexual needs / affection owed (1 Cor 7:3), give authority /power over your body (1 Cor 7:4), do not defraud /rob except with consent (1 Cor 7:5).
14. 5 – Love your wife (Col 3:19, Eph 5:25,33) as your own body (Eph 5:28), nourish and cherish her as your own flesh (Eph 5:29).
15. 8 – Do not divorce your wife (Mal 2:16, 1 Cor 7:11, Matt 5:32, 19:6,9, Mark 10:9,11, Luke 16:18 ) except for physical abuse (Ex 21:27), abandonment (1 Cor 7:15) or uncleanness (Deut 24:1) aka fornication (Matt 5:32, 19:9) which includes adultery (Lev 20:10, Deut 22:22) and sexual defrauding (Ex 21:10, 1 Cor 7:3-5).
Summary of verses for wives:
1. 1 – Be husband’s adequate helper curing his not-good-aloneness (Gen 2:18).
2. 1 – Win without words using your conduct and character (1 Pet 3:1).
3. 1 – Love your husband (Titus 2:4).
4. 2 – Fear / reverence (1 Pet 3:2) venerate / treat with deference or reverential obedience (Eph 5:33) your husband.
5. 2 – Let your husband be your head (1 Cor 11:3, Eph 5:23) by deferring to his authority and by respecting his position as useful and necessary (1 Cor 12:17-22) and worthy of honor (1 Cor 12:23-24,26) that there should be no schism or suffering in the body (1 Cor 12:25-26).
6. 3 – Do not separate from your husband (1 Cor 7:10, Matt 19:6, Mark 10:9) except for physical abuse (Ex 21:27), neglect of basic food/clothing/sexual needs (Ex 21:10), or abandonment (1 Cor 7:15).
7. 3 – Let your husband override your vows (Num 30:8, 12-13).
8. 3 – Guide the house (1 Tim 5:14), be keepers at home (Tirus 2:5), feed your household (Prov 31:15).
9. 3 – Trust in God (1 Pet 3:5), don’t be afraid (1 Pet 3:6), have faith (1 Tim 2:15).
10. 3 – Give due benevolence / conjugal rights / satisfy sexual needs / affection owed (1 Cor 7:3), give authority / power over your body (1 Cor 7:4), do not defraud /rob except with consent (1 Cor 7:5).
11. 4 – Learn in silence in church (1 Cor 14:34-35) and do not teach men or usurp authority over them (1 Tim 2:11-12) and let your husband speak for the family.
12. 4 – Be sober (Titus 2:4), be discreet, be chaste (Titus 2:5) don’t be flashy/showy (1 Tim 2:9, 1 Pet 3:3).
13. 5 – Bear children (1 Tim 5:14, Gen 1:28, 9:1,7). Love your children (Titus 2:4).
14. 5 – Don’t be contentious (Prov 19:13, 21:9, 27:15) or angry (Prov 21:19) with your husband. Have a meek and quiet spirit (1 Pet 3:4).
15. 5 – Wear long hair or a head covering when praying or prophesying as a symbol of the authority / power you are under (1 Cor 11:5-6,10,13,15).
16. 10 – Be obedient (Titus 2:5, 1 Cor 14:34, 1 Pet 3:6), be subject to in everything (Eph 5:24), with all subjection (1 Tim 2:11) be in subjection to (1 Pet 3:1,5), submit to (Eph 5:22, Col 3:18) your husband, and be ruled over by/under dominion of (Gen 3:16) your husband except if he asks you to disobey a command of God (Acts 5:29) or a jurisdiction outside his authority (Romans 13:1, Titus 3:1, 1 Peter 2:13).
Note: the number is the count of related verses. The font size is the number times ten.
May God bless and strengthen our families and fill them with His love and His Spirit.
Leave a Reply